is the transfer of money
or goods without requiring something in return; by extension it can be anything that makes the other more happy
or less sad, especially as a favor, including forgiveness
, and kindness
(even when the other is not kind).
The background may be:
- someone has more than another
- something bad happened to another
- expression of love or friendship
- expression of gratitude for a gift received
- custom, on occasions such as
The extent to which the clause "without requiring something in return" really applies may vary. Reciprocity is common and often socially almost compulsory.
In Roman mythology, Clementia was the goddess of forgiveness and mercy.
See also: Alms, Altruism, Atonement, Charity, Debt relief, TANSTAAFL, Tip.
World Kindness Movement