|Net Income (Loss)|
Georgia-Pacific was founded in 1927 in Augusta, Georgia as the Georgia Hardwood Lumber Co. Over the years it expanded, adding sawmills and plywood lumber mills. In 1956 the company changed its name to Georgia-Pacific Corp. In 1957 the company entered the pulp and paper business by building a kraft pulp and linerboard mill at Toledo, Oregon. The company continued to make acquisitions, including Great Northern Nekoosa Corp. in 1990 and the Fort James Corp. in 2000.
Its stock symbol on the NYSE is GP.