The Fuggerei is a walled enclave within the city of Augsburg, Bavaria. It was founded in 1516 by Jakob Fugger the Younger as a place where the needy citizens of Augsburg could be housed. By 1523, 52 houses had been built, and in the coming years the area expanded with various streets, small squares and a church. The gates were locked at night, so the Fuggerei was, in its own right, very similar to a small independent medieval town.
There is no shared accommodation, as each family has its own apartment. Each building contains 2 apartments, one on each floor. Each apartment comprises a kitchen, a parlour, a bedroom and a tiny room, about 60 square metres in total. Each ground-floor apartment has a small garden and garden shed, while the upper-floor has an attic.
The Fuggerei is still inhabited today.