The building was designed by Sir Aston Webb, the British architect responsible for the eastern facade of Buckingham Palace and the Cromwell Road frontage of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
It was built on reclaimed land, and opened on January 15, 1912. The two-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by Ionic columns. It is surmounted by a blind-folded statue of Justice, represented by the Greek goddess Themis.
In 1985, the judicial branch moved to the new Supreme Court Building. The old building was given to the Legislative Council and was renamed the Legislative Council Building.
The Exterior of the Old Supreme Court is one of the 77 declared monuments of Hong Kong.