Elias Canetti (July 25, 1905 - August 13, 1994). Bulgarian-born German novelist, awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1981.
Born in Rustschuk (now Ruse), a port on the Danube River in Bulgaria, he was fluent in Ladino, Bulgarian, and English as well as German. He earned a degree in Chemistry from the University of Vienna in 1929, but never taught. He immigrated to England shortly before World War II, and kept a home in London. He died in Zürich.
He was a lover of Iris Murdoch.
- Die Hochzeit (The Wedding, play, 1932)
- Die Blendung (Auto-da-Fé, novel, 1935)
- Masse und Macht (Crowds and Power, study, 1960)
- Die Stimmen von Marrakesch (The Voices of Marrakesh, travelogue, 1968)
- Die Gerettete Zunge (The Tongue Set Free, memoir, 1977)
- Die Fackel ihm Ohr (The Torch in My Ear, memoir, 1980)
- Das Augenspiel (The Play of the Eyes, memoir, 1985)
- Das Geheimherz der Uhr: Aufzeichnungen (The Secret Heart of the Clock, 1987)
- Die Fliegenpein (The Agony of Flies, 1992)
- Nachträge aus Hampstead (Notes from Hampstead, 1994)