Charles Barry (junior)Charles Barry (junior)
) was an English architect
of the mid-late 19th century
, and eldest son of Sir Charles Barry
. Like his younger brother and fellow architect Edward Middleton Barry
, Charles junior designed numerous buildings in London
. He is particularly associated with works in the south London suburb of Dulwich
Charles junior worked extensively on projects in London and East Anglia with fellow architect Robert Richardson Banks (1812-72), and then collaborated with his shorter-lived brother Edward on several schemes.
Charles senior had been Architect and Surveyor to Dulwich College, designing the Grammar School, among other buildings. Charles junior then succeeded his father in the role. He designed the New College (1866-70) – a building of red brick and white stone, designed in a hybrid of Palladian and Gothic styles.
His other projects include:
- The Cliff Town Estate, Southend, Essex (with Banks)
- Bylaugh Hall, Norfolk (1852, with Banks)
- The forecourt of Burlington House (home of the Royal Academy), in Piccadilly, including the apartments of the Geological Society of London (1869-73, with Banks)
- St Stephen’s Church, south Dulwich (1867-75)
- Chancel and pulpit of St Peter’s Church, Kensington Park Road, London (1879)
- New chambers at Inner Temple, London (1879; with Edward)
- Great Eastern Hotel, Liverpool Street station, London (1884; the design was a collaboration with his brother Edward who died in 1880 before it was finished)
- Dulwich Park (1884)
Charles Barry (junior) was President of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1876-79. He was also awarded the prestigious RIBA Gold Medal in 1877. His pupils included Sir Aston Webb (himself a later President of the RIBA).