Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Broughty Castle

Broughty Castle, completed around 1495, was surrendered to the English in 1547 by Lord Gray following the Battle of Pinkie; it wasn't for another three years, in February 1550 that the French and Scots managed to recapture it. The castle was attacked again, in 1651 by General Monck and his Parliamentary army during the English Civil War. On this occasion the Royalist defenders fled without a fight. Following 1666, when the Gray family sold the castle, it gradually became more ruinous until fears of a renewed French invasion, whereupon, in 1855, it was acquired by the War Office and rebuilt. The castle remained in military use until 1932, and later between 1939 and 1949. In 1969, the castle opened as a museum operated by Dundee council.