The first Bretby Hall was built in 1630 after Thomas Stanhope bought the manor of Bretby from Stephen de Segrave to whom it had been granted by Ranulph, Earl of Chester.
The second Earl was responsible for a complete restyling of the gardens so that some compared them favourably with the gardens at Versailles.
The fifth Earl demolished the mansion and built the present Hall to a design by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville.
The sixth Earl, known as the "racing Earl", loved cricket and shooting, so he built a cricket pitch and raised game birds.
In 1926, the Hall was sold to Derbyshire County Council and was run as an orthopaedic hospital until the 1990s when it was sold to a private developer who has converted it into luxury apartments and suites.