English Heritage's scheme
Under main scheme, run by English Heritage, nominations are taken from the public for people that have been dead for at least 20 years or were born 100 years ago, whichever is earlier. If they meet the criteria, set in 1954, including eminence; having made an "important positive contribution"; "exceptional and outstanding personalities"; and deserving of national recognition a plaque may be placed on a building to which they have a link. There is only one plaque for any individual.
The official blue plaque scheme in London was set up in 1867, celebrating Byron's Holles Street residence. Initially the scheme was run by the Royal Society of Arts, it was transferred to the London County Council in 1901 and later the GLC. When the Greater London Council was disbanded in 1985, following the Local Government Act of 1985, English Heritage took on the role. English Heritage places around twenty new plaques each year. The scheme extended to other parts of the UK in 1998, with the first plaques being unveiled in Liverpool in 2000. Other cities involved are Birmingham, Portsmouth and Southampton. The scheme has been adapted and used worldwide. The Royal Society of Arts placed thirteen plaques, the London County Council 249 and the GLC 262; there are currently over 800. Many of the building which had plaques have been subsequently demolished. The oldest surviving plaque is in Gerrard Street and dates from 1875. The early plaques were dark brown, the current design dates from 1937, with the white border added in 1939.