is a town
in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
. It was formerly part of Essex
It is located on the River Roding near its junction with the River Thames, in the eastern part of outer London.
Features of interest:
- The ruins of the Barking Abbey, first founded in 666 by Erkenwald, Bishop of London, destroyed by the Danes and reconstructed about a hundred years later in 970 by King Edgar.
- The Norman church of St Margaret.
The mouth of the Roding (Barking Creek) has great sewage works, receiving the Northern Outfall sewer from London. As of 1911 there were also chemical works and some shipping trade, particularly in timber and fish. Barking was a suffragan bishopric in the diocese of St Albans
Barking is also the prime vocalization in the canine language.