Alain Marie Pascal Prost
, born February 24
in Saint-Chamond, Loire
, is one of the most successful Formula One
drivers of all time. During his Formula One career, which lasted from 1980 to 1993, he won 51 Grand Prix (a record until Michael Schumacher
overtook this total in 2001) and was driver's world champion four times.
The rivalry between Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna is said by many to be one of the most exciting ones between two drivers clearly a class ahead of any other in their day. See the resources for a link to an interview with Prost about Senna, a topic that Prost usually steadfastly refuses to discuss.
- Legion d'Honneur (France, '85)
- Champion of Champions Trophy (Grand Prix Former Drivers Club, '88)
- OBE (Britain, '93)
- World Sports Awards of the Century (November, '99)
- Professor of the Track
- The Calculator
- Fast Son of a Bitch (by Niki Lauda)
- The King of Rio (6 wins in Brazil, 5 in Rio de Janeiro)
- Nationality: French
- Height: 5'4"
- Characteristics: Charmingly crooked nose, broken on several occasions
- Spouse: name Anne-Marie Prost
- No. of children: 2 sons, Nicolas & Sacha
- Place of living: Nyon, Switzerland
- Career achievements:
- 85,86,89,93 F1 World Champion
- 83,84,88,90 World Runner-up
- 51 GP wins
- 798.5 championship points
- 106 podium finishes
- 41 fastest laps
- record 6 home GP wins
- running "Prost GP" from 1997 to 2001
From 1997 to 2001 he owned and managed the Prost Grand Prix
racing team. The team went bankrupt in early 2002.