: 15th century
- 16th century
- 17th century
Decades: 1470s 1480s 1490s 1500s 1510s - 1520s - 1530s 1540s 1550s 1560s 1570s
Years: 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 - 1526 - 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531
- January 14 - Treaty of Madrid. Peace between Francis I of France and Charles V. Francis agrees to cede Burgundy to Charles, and abandons all claims to Flanders, Artois, Naples, and Milan.
- May 22 - Francis repudiates the Treaty of Madrid and forms the League of Cognac against Charles, including the Pope, Milan, Venice, and Florence.
- July 24 - Milan is captured by the Spanish
- August 29 - Battle of Mohacs. The Turkish army of Sultan Suleiman I defeats the Hungarian army of King Louis II, who is killed in the retreat. Suleiman takes Buda, while Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and John Zapolya, Prince of Transylvania, dispute over the succession.
- Dubrovnik independent republic under Turk power
- Sweden First official translation of the New Testament of the Bible to Swedish (cf 1541)
- Far East