|pop. density:||262 inh./km²|
Zwickauer Land is a Kreis (district) in the south-west of Saxony, Germany. Neighboring districts are (from north-east clockwise) Chemnitzer Land, Stollberg, Aue-Schwarzenberg, Vogtlandkreis, and the districts Greiz and Altenburger Land in Thuringia. The district-free city of Zwickau is located in the center of the district and nearly completely sorrounded by it.
|Table of contents|
3 Coat of arms
4 Towns and municipalities
5 External links
In 1952 the area was split into two districts, Zwickau and Werdau. 1994 both parts were merged again. In 1999 some municipalities became part of the city Zwickau, after which the city Zwickau was no longer completely sorrounded by the district, but had a common border with the district Chemnitzer Land.
|The coat of arms shows symbols of the historic countries covered by the district. In the left-top is the lion of Pleißenland, created in the 12th century by emporer Barbarossa. It symbolizes the complete district. The inclined bars in the top-right are taken from the coat of arms of the family Schönburg, representing the north-eastern part of the district. The black rose in the bottom-left is the symbol of the Wildenfels, representing the east part of the district. The lion in the bottom-right is the symbol of the Vogt of Weida, showing the common history with the neighboring Vogtland.|