) is located in the central economic region of Russia
, surrounded by the Tverskaya, Moskovskaya, Ivanovskaya, Vladimirskaya, Kostromskaya and Vologodskaya Oblasts. This geographic location affords the oblast the advantages of a close proximity to Moscow
and Saint Petersburg
. Additionally, the center of the oblast - the city of Yaroslavl - is an intersection of major highways, railroads and waterways.
- Oblast territory 36,400 sq. km
- Population (as of 1/1/97) 1,442,900
- Governor Anatoly Ivanovich Lisitsyn
- Center of the oblast Yaroslavl
- Distance from the Yaroslavl to Moscow 282 km
- Number of cities under the oblast's jurisdiction 6
- Number of cities under the districts jurisdiction 5
- Number of districts 17
- Urban population over 80%
- Number of historical and architectural monuments over 5,000
- Amount of tourists (1997) 272,500
1) large and medium-sized enterprises.
- Total volume of output for 12 months of the year 1997, mlrd. rbl.1) 15933,1
- Total balance profit of enterprises for 12 months of the year 1997, mlrd. rbl.2) 1227,4
- Total tax collection for 12 month of the year 1997, mlrd. rbl. 4781,8 including those, accruing to the Federal budget, mlrd. rbl 1999,3
- Unemployment level, % of the number of all working people 2,4
2) including industry, agriculture, construction, transport.