In the Domesday Book, Worstead is called Wrdesteda and Ordested. King Canute gave the town to the abbots of St. Benet's Abbey on the River Bure in the Norfolk Broads.
It became very prosperous from the 12th century when weavers from Flanders arrived in the area. They had been encouraged to settle in Norfolk by King Edward III of England who had married a Flemish princess.
"Walsham" cloth was light and for summer use, whereas "Worstead" was a heavier cloth. It is still referred to as worsted - the original name of the town.
The last weaver, John Cubitt, died in 1882 at the age of 91.
The oldest Act of Parliament kept in the House of Lords Record Office is the ''Taking of Apprentices for Worsteads in the County of Norfolk" Act of 1497.
Weaving and spinning demonstrations are part of the annual Worstead Festival on the last weekend in July.