Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights
The Worshipful Company of Wheelwrights
is one of the Livery Companies
of the City of London
. An organisation of Wheelwrights and Coachmakers
petitioned for incorporation in 1630. The petition was granted forty years later, in 1670, when a Royal Charter
was granted to the Wheelwrights. (The Coachmakers were separately incorporated in 1677.) The Wheelwrights' Company was granted the status of a Livery Company in 1763. Over the years, wheel making has changed from being made by craftsmen to being made by machines. Thus, the Company is no longer a trade association for wheelwrights. Instead, it functions as a charitable body.
The Wheelwrights' Company ranks sixty-eighth in the order of precedence for Livery Companies. Its motto is God Grant Unity.