Worshipful Company of Tobacco Pipe Makers and Tobacco Blenders
The Worshipful Company of Tobacco Pipe Makers and Tobacco Blenders
is one of the Livery Companies
of the City of London
. The Company was at first incorporated by a Royal Charter
in 1619. The Company was forced to dissolve when it failed to offer monetary support to the King prior to the English Civil War
. The Company, which was responsible for regulating the trade of tobacconists, was restored in 1663, but went bankrupt in 1868, after its powers of regulation were abolished.
The Company, was restored in 1954, and again became a Livery Company in 1960. The Company, however, is not, as it previously was, a trade association for pipe makers and tobacco blenders. Instead, it is primarily a charitable body, supporting various schools and educational institutions.
The Company ranks eighty-second in the order of precedence for Livery Companies. Its motto is Producat Terra, Latin for Out of the Earth.