Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers
The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers
is one of the Livery Companies
of the City of London
. The Stationers' Company was founded in 1403; it received a Royal Charter
in 1557. It held a monopoly over the publishing industry and was officially responsible for setting and enforcing copyright
regulations until the passage of the Statute of Anne
In 1937, a Royal Charter amalgamated the Stationers' Company and the Newspaper Makers Company, which had been founded six years earlier, into the Company of the present name.
Today, the Company mostly carries out ceremonial functions. Furthermore, it contributes to educational charities. In the order of precedence of the Livery Companies of London, the Stationers' and Newspaper Makers' Company is forty-seventh.