Worshipful Company of Pewterers
The Worshipful Company of Pewterers
is one of the Livery Companies
of the City of London
. Its existed as early as 1348; it received a Royal Charter
in 1474. The Charter allowed the Company to regulate pewter craftsmen; one of the regulations required pewterers to officially register a mark with the Company, and to place the same mark on all of his products, so that a faulty product's maker could be discerned. The tradition of maintaining an official mark continues to this day, but the Company's close association with the trade does not. The Company's duties have been taken over by a separate body; the Company continues to exist only as an educational and charitable institution.
The Company ranks sixteenth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies.