Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers
The Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers
is one of the Livery Companies
in the City of London
. The Guild of St James, the Company's predecessor, was formed in 1375. The organization of wood craftsmen, who were known at various times as Fusters, Carvers, and Joiners, received a Royal Charter
of incorporation in 1571. The Company has traditionally been from the Carpenters' Company
, for joiners attached wood using glue or other similar materials, while carpenters used nails. The Company, as is the case with most of the other Livery Companies, no longer maintains a close relationship with its original craft, though it supports wood-related educational institutions, as well as various charities.
The Company ranks forty-first in the order of precedence of the Livery Companies. Its motto is Join Loyalty With Liberty.