The village name is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'settlement of Wiwa's family'. The nearby village of Wingrave has the same origin. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village was recorded as Witehunge, though previously it was known as Weowungum.
An ancient track linking Oxford with Cambridge once passed through the village, leading to its increase in size in the medieval period, though with the advent of modern roads and motorways this is less used today.
Wing leaped to fame in the Twentieth century when the location of a new London airport was being discussed, and Wing was one of the prime locations for it. A community campaign was organised, called the 'Wings Off Wing Campaign', and was successful: the airport was built at Heathrow instead.