William of WykehamWilliam of Wykeham
, founder of Winchester College
and of New College, Oxford
, and builder of a large part of Windsor Castle
, was born in Wickham
. He was a close confidante of Edward III
His motto was 'Manners maketh man'. This, along with a heraldic style crest, were adopted by him and not acquired by descent. His biography was written by Bishop Lowth. He was also written about by Lord Brougham in his 'Old England's Worthies' (1857) and by Froissart.
- CAMPBELL, Lives of the Lord Chancellors (London, 1848), I, xv, xvii
- DRANE, The Three Chancellors (London, 1882), 1-112
- KITCHIN, Winchester in Historic Towns Series (London, 1890).
- LOWTH, Life of William of Wykeham (London, 1759)
- MOBERLY, Life of William Wykeham (Wells, 1887)
- WALCOTT, William of Wykeham and his Colleges (London, 1897)