Widespread PanicWidespread Panic
is a jam band
originally from Athens, Georgia
. Their debut LP, Space Wrangler
, established a small fanbase and inagurated several years of constant touring before the band signed to Capricorn Records and released their major label debut, Widespread Panic
(see 1991 in music
). After appearing with the H.O.R.D.E tours for a few years, the band became one of the most popular new jam bands that arose in the mid-1990s.
Although they continue recording studio material, the band is known primarily for their live shows. An intense touring schedule keeps them on the road nearly year-round.
In August 2002, founding guitarist Michael Houser lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. A long time friend of the band and Beanland alumi, George McConnell, joined the band in Houser's wake.
- Space Wrangler Landslide Records, 1988
- Widespread Panic Capricorn Records, 1991
- Space Wrangler Capricorn (re-release), 1992
- Everyday Capricorn, 1993
- Ain't Life Grand Capricorn, 1994
- Nine High A Pallet Capricorn (recorded with Vic Chesnutt under the collective name Brute), 1996
- Bombs & Butterflies Capricorn, 1997
- Light Fuse, Get Away Capricorn, 1998
- 'Til The Medicine Takes Capricorn, 1999
- Another Joyous Occasion Widespread Records, 2000
- Don't Tell The Band Widespread Records/Sanctuary Records, 2001
- Co-balt Widespread Records (recorded with Vic Chesnutt under the collective name Brute), 2002
- Live In The Classic City Widespread Records/Sanctuary Records, 2002
- Ball Widespread Records/Sanctuary Records, 2003