Valençay is a small town in the Indre département in the Loire Valley of France situated on a hillside overlooking the Nahon river. The town, with a population today of approximately 2,900, was formed by the amalgamation of three settlements: the "Bourg-de-l'Eglise" and the "Bas-Bourg" and what is called the "old quarter."
The town is dominated by the magnificent Chateau Valençay, built in 1540 by Robert d'Estampes and most notably acquired in 1747 by the Scottish Banker John Law. Later, in 1803 the castle was purchased by the diplomat Charles Maurice de Talleyrand.
On May 6, 1941, Georges Bégué, the first SOE agent from England was parachuted into a field near Valençay. Fifty years to the day, the Valençay SOE Memorial, titled as the "Spirit of Partnership," was dedicated in honor of the 104 members of SOE's F Section who died for the liberation of France.
The town is also famous for its pyramid shaped Valençay cheese made from raw goat milk.