The second Congress\ was a 28-gun sailing frigate (length 126 ft, breadth 34.9 ft, depth 10.5 ft) built by Lancaster Burling at Poughkeepsie, New York, under authority of an act of the Second Continental Congress dated 13 December1775. One of the first 13 ships authorized to be built by the new government, she was placed under the command of Captain Grenell in the summer of 1776. Before her outfitting was completed, the British occupied the approaches to the Hudson River and extended their control of the environs throughout 1777. The infant Continental Navy suffered the destruction of Congress in October 1777 to prevent her seizure by the enemy.
The fifth Congress was a screw sloop commissioned in 1870 and decommissioned 1876.
Fact-index.com financially supports the Wikimedia Foundation. Displaying this page does not burden Wikipedia hardware resources. This article is from Wikipedia. All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.