Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Unemployment benefit

Unemployment benefit is money paid by the government to people who are unemployed. It is meant for food, clothes and so on. It is part of social security.

In the United Kingdom there are two forms of unemployment benefit: Job Seekers Allowance (income-based) and Job Seekers Allowance (contribution-based). If a claimant has paid enough National Insurance contributions of the correct class then they are entitled to contribution-based benefit. If not, and they have a low or no income they receive income-based benefit. Benefit levels are lower for those under 25 and to remain receiving benefit a claimant has to visit the Job Centre every two weeks (so called signing on).