Because of the many churches in the town, Trnava is often called the "Slovak Rome". In the past, it was an important center of counter-reformation in Hungary and Slovakia (17th century), of the Slovak national revival (late 18th century) and seat of the important (Jesuit) Trnava University (1635-1777, founded by the archbishop Peter Pázmány). The town has a historic center. The first codified Slovak language standard (by Anton Bernolák in 1787) was based on the Slovak dialect used in the region of Trnava. With the establishment of a separate Trnava archbishopric in 1978, Slovakia became independent on Hungary again also in terms of church administration for the first time after centuries.