Theodosius Dobzhansky (January 25 1900-November 11 1975), a famous geneticist, was born in Ukraine (then part of Russia), but lived in the United States beginning in 1927.
He taught at the California Institute of Technology (1930-1940) and Columbia University (1940-1962).
He did much important genetic research, mainly on various species of Drosophila.
His most famous saying was "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution".
- Genetics and the Origin of Species (1937, third edition 1951)
- Mankind Evolving: The Evolution of the Human Species (1962)
- The Biology of Ultimate Concern (1967)
- Genetics of the Evolution Process (1970)
- Genetic Diversity and Human Equality (1973).