The Munsters was an American television sitcom, depicting the home life of a family of horror movie monsters. Much of the humour derived from the fact that they did not have the slightest idea that they were in any way different from their neighbours. It first aired on the CBS network from 1964 to 1966, and in continual syndication thereafter. The Munsters was filmed in Black and White.
Cast (in alphabetical order):
- Yvonne De Carlo as Lily Dracula Munster; she wore goth-style makeup, a decade before it became fashionable.
- Fred Gwynne as Herman Munster; bears a distinct resemblence to Frankenstein's monster as portrayed by Boris Karloff
- Al Lewis as Dracula aka Grandpa
- Butch Patrick as Edward "Eddie" Wolfgang Munster; a typical all-american boy werewolf.
- Beverly Owen / Pat Priest as Marilyn Munster; young, blonde and pretty--the family are vaguely ashamed of producing such freakish offspring.
movies spun off from the series.
The show is often compared with The Addams Family, which began and ended almost simultaneously with it.
was remade as a television series
with the title The Munsters Today