The MaxxThe Maxx
is a comic book
series written by Sam Keith. It follows the life
and misadventures of Maxx (a.k.a. The Maxx), a homeless man
who thinks he is a superhero
of some sort. Maxx shifts between two worlds: the real world, and the dream
world (which he refers to as Australia
or, more often, The Outback
), which is just as real to him as the real world. Along for his story is Julie Winters, a freelance social worker
who takes pity on Maxx and befriends him. Little does she know, Maxx and her have a deeper connection than just being friends, and it involves the dream world that Maxx is constantly drawn into.
The Maxx was also adapted into an animated series for MTV in 1995, as part of the animated series block Oddities. It ran for 13 episodes, covered half of the comic book series, and was a very faithful adaptation, with many lines taken verbatim from the comics.
A spin-off comic book series was made, called Friends of Maxx.
- The Maxx - A homeless man who shifts between the real world and the dream world (Outback) against his will. He is dressed in a purple superhero outfit that even he doesn't understand why he is wearing it (though fears what may happen if he takes it off).
- Julie Winters - A social worker who is friends with Maxx. She is somehow connected to the Outback world that Maxx often shifts to.
- Sara - A depressed teenager who is one of Julie's clients. She is often in conflict with her mother, due to her attempts to bring her up to not be like her father, whom her mother gives little information on other than the fact that he committed suicide. She gets caught up in Maxx and Julie's situation, which may just involve her too.
- Mr. Gone - A psychopath who has been killing people in the city that Maxx and Julie live in. He appears to know about the Outback world and Maxx's shifting between it and reality. He seems to be after Julie.
- The Isz - Creatures in the Outback that attack and hunt The Maxx when he is in that world. They appear humanoid, except they are little over a foot tall and have no eyes or ears. In the Outback world, they are white, toothless, and attack in large packs. When they enter the real world through portals, they turn black, grow sharp teeth, and are stronger and faster, allowing them to fight in smaller groups. Mr. Gone can control them in the real world, and uses them to subdue Maxx and carry out other tasks for him.
The Maxx's Cardboard Box
IMDb entry for The Maxx
Maxx is also the new name of the bus services of Connexxion in Almere.