Tbilisi Ivane Javakhishvili State University (TSU) was established on January 26, 1918, in Tbilisi (capital of the Republic of Georgia). TSU is a major scientific-educational complex of Georgia, the first and greatest University in the Caucasus. Over 30,000 students are enrolled and the total number of collaborators is approximately 5,000.
The University has 5 Branches in different regions of Georgia, 21 Faculties, about 70 scientific-research laboratories and centers, Scientific Library (with about 3,700,000 books and periodicals), 7 museums, own Publishing House and printing press (newspaper "Tbilisis Universiteti").
TSU has close scientific and educational contacts with many Universities and Centers from various countries (USA, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Turkey, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Iran, Ukraine, Russia, etc.).
Main founder of the University was well-known Georgian historian, Academician Ivane Javakhishvili. Co-founders were outstanding scientists: Giorgi Akhvlediani, Shalva Nutsubidze, Dimitri Uznadze, Grigol Tsereteli, Akaki Shanidze, Andria Razmadze, Iosif Kipshidze, Petre Melikishvili, Ekvtime Takaishvili and others. Professor Petre Melikishvili, a well-known Georgian chemist, was chosen the first rector of TSU.