Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

St Martin's-in-the-Fields

St Martin's-in-the-Fields is a Church of England church on Trafalgar Square in the City of Westminster, London.

St Martin's-in-the-Fields

The earliest reference to the church is recorded in 1222, with a dispute over who had control over it between the Abbot of Westminster and the Bishop of London. It was decided in favour of Westminster, and used by the monks of Westminster Abbey. The church was rebuilt by Henry VIII in 1542.

The church survived the Great Fire of London due to its isolated position, but was replaced with a new building, designed by James Gibbs in 1721. The design was criticised widely at the time.

In the present day, St Martin's-in-the-Fields is well known for its "open door" policy, its work for the homeless, and its occasional free lunchtime concerts. Its orchestra and choir are world-famous.

There is a café in the Crypt; also there is a Brass rubbing facility.

External links