The St.George Cross
, or simply the George's Cross, was, until 1913
, officially known as the Sign of Distinction of the Military Order of Saint George
. It is worn on the ribbon of St.George, which is three lengthwise black stripes with two golden stripes between them.
Established in Russia in 1807, it was granted to non-commissioned officers, soldiers and sailors for their military heroism. In 1856 it was split into four degrees. A person who received all four degrees was called polniy Georgievskiy kavaler (full Cavalier of St.George).