Spitalul de UrgentaSpitalul de Urgenţă
, literally "Emergency Hospital", is a Romanian
rock band, integrating elements of traditional Romanian music
into a sometimes hard-edged rock sound, although also incorporating influences as diverse as Turkish traditional music, European classical music, and cartoon soundtrack music.
Formed 2000 in Bucharest.
Leader and songwriter Dan Helciug's lyrics often feature a bitter wit that does not lend itself to easy translation, especially because of his tendency to paraphrase (both musically and lyrically) pieces of well known traditional songs. For example, the chorus of their song "Trăiască Berea" ("Long Live Beer") uses a phrase from a traditional song, "Foaie verde şi-o lalea" ("Green leaves and a lily"):
- Trăiască berea in care ne-am născut
- Traiăscă berea că tare ne-a durut
- Foaie verde şi-o lalea
- Fie pâinea cât de rea
- Chiar aici in ţara ta
- Tot ţi-o fură cineva.
- - "Trăiască berea", Dan Helciug
- Long live beer, in which we were born
- Long live beer, which we've desired so strongly
- Green leaves and a lily
- However bad the bread may be
- It's a sure thing in this land of yours
- Someone will steal it all from you.
- - "Long live beer", Dan Helciug
- Dan Helciug
- Vali Craciunescu
- Adrian Cheta
- Catalin Dalvarea
- Viorel Preda
- "Trăiască Berea" (2000, EP)
- "Să Cânte Muzica!"