The large hall dominates Barkers Pool, one of the most-used squares in Sheffield, containing the city's War Memorial.
The City Hall was designed in 1920 by E. Vincent Harris, but was not completed until 1934. It is a neo-classical building with a giant portico. The largest hall in the building, seating 2,800 people, is commanded by a grand dome.
The City Hall now has its own stop on the Sheffield Supertram.