The Saab JAS-39 "Gripen" (Griffin) is a fighter aircraft from Sweden..
Already in operational service with the Swedish Air Force, which has ordered 204 aircraft (including 28 dual-seater), Gripen has also been ordered by the South African Air Force (28 aircraft). Hungary and the Czech Republic have each ordered 14 Gripens.
- Role: single seat multi-role fighter aircaft
- Powerplant: Volvo Flygmotor RM12 tubofan with 5,507 kgf military thrust and 8,212 kgf maximum thrust
- Length: 14.1 m
- Height: 4.5 m
- Wingspan: 8.4 m
- Wing area: 25.54 m²
- Empty: 6,620 kg
- Normal Takeoff: 8,720 kg
- Maximum: 14,000 kg
- Maximum: Mach 2.2 at altitude, supersonic at low level
- Ceiling: about 15 km.
- Air Combat (10 minute loiter): 800 km
- Ferry: ? km
- Wing Loading: 341 kg/m² at normal takeoff weight
- Thrust/weight ratio: 0.94 at normal takeoff weight
- Cost: 1998USD 25 m
- First flown: 1989
- In service date: 1996
- Users (on order): Sweden (204), South Africa (28), Czech Republic (14), Hungary (14)
See also: Comparison of 2000s fighter aircraft