The Prince Regent, who later became George IV of the United Kingdom first visited Brighton in the year of 1783. In 1786, he rented a farmhouse in the location of the Old Steine area in Brighton.
He employed Henry Holland to enlarge the building, and purchased the land surrounding the property.
Between 1815 and 1822, the designer John Nash redesigned the palace in the format familiar with tourists and locals alike. The palace looks rather out of place in the middle of Brighton, having a very Indian appearance on the outside. However, the fanciful interior design is heavily influenced by both Chinese and Indian fashion. It is a prime example of the exoticism that was an alternative to more classicizing mainstream taste in the Regency style.
After the death of George IV, Queen Victoria sold the Royal Pavilion to the council.
During the First World War the pavilion was used as a hospital for wounded servicemen.
Today, the pavilion is open to visitors.