Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Royal Aero Club

The Royal Aero Club is the national co-ordinating body for Air Sport in the United Kingdom.

The Royal Aero Club (RAeC) was founded in 1901. It was initially concerned with ballooning but, after the invention of heavier than air flight, it embraced the airplane.

The Club established its first flying ground at Muswell Manor near Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey in 1909. Contacts with the Wright brothers led to the Club acquiring a Wright license and laying down the first aircraft production line in the world, at Leysdown. It moved the next year to Eastchurch.

Until 1915 the British Military did not have any pilot training facilities. As a result most early military pilots were trained by members of the club and many became members.

In 1909 the Club was granted the Royal prefix. From 1910 the Club issued Aviators Certificates, which were internationally recognised under the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (the FAI) to which the club was the UK representative. The Club was responsible for control in the UK of all private and sporting flying, as well as for records and competitions.

By the end of the First World War, more than 6,300 military pilots had taken RAeC Aviator's Certificates

Some Aviators Certificates