The town was declared a Historical Artistic Site in 1947. Near the Campo da Feira, one can find the ruins of the castle of the Sarmientos, the Counts of Ribadavia, dating from the fifteenth century. It still preserves the interior, towers and the walls. Parts of the walls that surrounded the town are also still standing. Inside the old quarter (casco antiguo), one can visit the main square (Praza Maior) with interesting buildings like the sixteenth century town hall. There are also buildings remaining from what was once a large Jewish quarter, including a synagogue.
All the economic life of the comarca of the Ribeiro has centered on, since the twelfth century, the vines first brought by the monks of Cluny who accompanied the first count of Galicia, Raymond of Burgandy. Today, the wine is commercialised as Denominación de Origen Ribeiro. (Demarcated Origen Ribeiro)