The palace, located on the Via del Quirinale and faces onto the Piazza del Quirinale, was built in 1573 by Pope Gregory XIII as a papal summer residence. It was also used as the location for many papal conclaves. It served as a papal residence until 1870 when Rome ceased to the property of the popes and became the capital of the new Kingdom of Italy. The palace became the official royal residence of the Kings of Italy, though in reality some monarchs, notably King Victor Emmanuel III (r: 1900-1946) actually lived in a private residence elsewhere, with the Quirinale being used simply as an office and for state functions.
The fašade was designed by Domenico Fontana. Its 'Great Chapel' was designed by Carlo Maderno. It contains frescos by Guido Reni and its grounds contain a famous set of gardens laid out in the eighteenth century.