Pyonghwa MotorsPyonghwa Motors
(in Korean: 평화) is originally a South Korean
car importer, which set up a car producing joint-venture with the North Korean Ryonbong
General Corp. in Nampo.
Since most North Koreans do not know how to drive nor are financially able to own a car, the cars are aimed at the few foreigners and governmental officials. Also Pyonghwa plans to export cars to China, Vietnam and South Korea.
Pyonghwa has the exclusive rights to car production and buy and sell used cars in North Korea.
- Hwiparam (휘파람 - Whistle) - based on the Fiat Siena
- Ppeokkugi (뻐꾸기 - Cuckoo) - based on the Fiat Doblo
- 1999, April - founded by the Unification Church
- 2000, January - the joint-venture with Ryonbong is announced
- 2002, April - first production line in Nampo was complete and the first Hwiparam was produced