is a person who manipulates a puppet
, either by the use of strings, wires or their hands, for a stage production or film. Usually, the puppeteer also provides the voice for the puppet, but this is not always the case. Some puppets require multiple puppeteers to operate them.
Two of the most famous puppeteers are Jim Henson and Frank Oz. Their work has entertained children for decades on the popular Sesame Street, The Electric Company, and The Muppet Show television series. (The puppets used by these puppeteers are usually called Muppets).
Henson and Oz also frequently worked in film, including directing and puppeteer work in the 1982 film The Dark Crystal and the 1986 film Labyrinth. Oz is also well known for his work with the puppet of Yoda in the popular Star Wars movie series and as a director of movies such as the musical Little Shop of Horrors.
Another famous modern puppeteer is Gerry Anderson who used a puppet system called Supermarionation to a number of successful science fiction television shows like Thunderbirds
Famous people who also were puppeteers:
- Kevin Clash (Elmo on Sesame Street)
- Jim Henson (Kermit the Frog, Ernie, and many others)
- Jerry Nelson (Gonzo, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Herry Monster)
- Frank Oz (Miss Piggy, Yoda, Bert, Fozzie Bear, Grover, Cookie Monster and many others)
- Carroll Spinney (Big Bird, Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street)
- Shari Lewis (Lambchop and others)
- Edgar Bergen (Charlie McCarthy and others)
- Fran Brill (Prairie Dawn, Zoe, Little Bird, Roxie Marie