is a town in County Laois
in the Republic of Ireland.
It was first established by Queen Mary as Fort of Maryborough in 1556
. There are still signs of the garrison all over the town. The old jail has been transformed into an arts centre.
Nearby is the Rock of Dunamase, an ancient Celtic fortification which was allegedly mapped by Ptolemy in the 8th century.