The line was opened as the Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton Railway in 1906, having been formed from the amalagamation of three planned tube railways: the Great Northern and Strand Railway, the Brompton and Piccadilly Circus Railway, and the "Deep-Level District". The original route was from Finsbury Park to Hammersmith. The line was expanded rapidly in the 1930s, taking over two branches of the District Line in the west, and extending through new tubes and surface tracks to Cockfosters in the north-east. These extensions are notable for the modern architecture of their stations, many designed by Charles Holden.
|Table of contents|
2 External links
in order from east to west
The line splits here into two branches - the Heathrow branch and the Uxbridge branch
(continuing from Acton Town)
This section is a loop - trains go to Hatton Cross, then Terminal 4, then Terminals 1,2,3 and then back to Hatton Cross