The city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
(pop. 200,000) is the industrial, scientific and cultural center of Kamchatka
Founded by the explorer Vitus Bering
, who reached Avacha Bay in 1740
and laid the foundation stone for the port of Petropavlovsk, named after his two ships, the St. Peter
and the St. Paul
, built in Okhotsk
for his second expedition.
See also: Petropavl, in Kazakhstan.