Pembroke College, CambridgePembroke College
is the third exisiting college (fifth overall: anticipated by St. Peter's House [Peterhouse], King's Hall, Michaelhouse and University Hall[pre-1340-ish]/Clare Hall[post-1340-ish]) founded in the University of Cambridge
. The Foundress of the College was Mary de St Pol, daughter of Guy de Chatillon and wife of Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke. It was on Christmas Eve 1347
that Edward III of England
granted her the licence for the foundation. The name of the college was Marie Valence Hall, at least at the very beginning of its existence.
The original buildings comprised in a single court (now called First Court) all the component parts of a college - chapel, hall, kitchen and buttery, Master's lodgings, students' rooms - and the statutes provided for a manciple, a cook, a barber and a laundress. Both the founding of the College and the building of the chapel - the first College chapel in Cambridge - required the grant of a Papal Bull.
Famous alumni of Pembroke College