Xenogenesis/Lilith's Brood series
The three volumes of this series are also collected into two omnibus editions, Xenogenesis (out of print) and Lilith's Brood.
- Dawn (1987) - After the near-extinction of humanity, a woman is resurrected by the alien Oankali as part of a plan to colonize the earth with alien-human hybrids.
- Adulthood Rites (1988) - An alien-human hybrid child is abducted by sterile human resisters.
- Imago (1989) - An androgynous being comes of age and integrates human and alien societies.
- Parable of the Sower (1993) - a girl develops a philosophical system during her childhood in a walled town. When her home is destroyed, she travels with companions to try to start a community where her religion can grow.
- Parable of the Talents (1998)
- Kindred (1979) - often shelved in Literature or African-American Literature, rather than with science fiction. Story of a modern African-American woman who keeps falling back through time to rescue her white, slave-owning ancestor.
- Bloodchild and Other Stories (1995) - title story, "Bloodchild" (1984), won Hugo and Nebula Awards.