Occident (far-right group)Occident
) was a French far-right violent political group
, often described as fascist
Founded by Pierre Sidos in 1964, it mostly recruited university students. Occident was intensely anti-communist, but also denounced the administration of president Charles de Gaulle.
Following violent confrontations during the period of turmoil of May 1968, Occident was termed an illegal violent group and dissolved by the administration. Many of its former members joined newer far-right groups such as the Groupe Union Droit.
Occident and the groups that succeeded it have a Celtic cross for emblem.
Former members include:
- Alain Madelin (French political leader),
- Gérard Longuet (French politician),
- Patrick Devedjian, (French politician)
- Guillaume Raoux (French politician),
- Claude Goasguen (French politician),
- William Abitbol (French politician).
- Mort aux Bolches!
Death to the Bolshes (slang for bolsheviks)
- Écrasons les valets du Viêt-Cong!
Let us stomp the Viêt-Cong's valets!
- Gauchistes, ne vous cassez pas la tête, Occident will do it for you.
- Sortez les manches!
- Sous-développés = Sous-capables
Under-developed = Under-capable