The Netherlands Carillon
at Arlington National Cemetery
in the United States of America
, was a gift from the Dutch
people following World War II
. First installed at a nearby site in 1954
, the 49-bell carillon
was moved to the present tower (designed by Joost Boks) in 1960
. A 50th bell was added in 1995
, and dedicated on May 5
, the 50th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands.
The total weight of the bells is 28 metric tons, the largest being 5,800 kg. The tower is 40 meters tall, with the playing console and observatory about 25 meters from the ground, where thousands of tulips bloom. Nearby is the USMC War Memorial.
The Netherlands Carillon plays Westminster Chimes on the hour and Saturday and holiday concerts in the summertime.