Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

National Motor Museum

The National Motor Museum (originally the Montagu Motor Museum) was founded in 1952 by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu as a tribute to his father, who was one of the great pioneers of motoring in the United Kingdom, being the first person to drive a motor car into the yard of the Houses of Parliament, and having introduced King Edward VII (then the Prince of Wales) to motoring in the latter part of the 19th century.

At first the museum consisted of just five cars and a small collection of automobilia displayed in the downstairs drawing room of Lord Montagu's ancestral home, Palace House, but such was the popularity of this small display that the collection soon outgrew its home and was transferred to wooden sheds in the grounds of the house. In 1972 a new purpose-built museum building was constructed in the parkland surrounding Palace House, and the name was changed to the National Motor Museum to reflect a change of status from a private collection to a charitable trust.

Today, in addition to around 250 of the most historically important motor vehicles to have been produced since the late-19th century, including no fewer than four world land speed record holders, the museum is also home to one of the finest collections of motoring books, journals, photographs, films, and automobilia in the world.

The museum is open every day except for Christmas day.

External Link